Moong Punjabi Masala Papad | Spicy Moong Papad
- Ideal for people who love spicy or teekha papad
- Made from tail batai, a traditional Rajasthani technique for soft high-quality papad.
- Made from traditional Punjabi recipes.
- Made with the Best Quality Authentic Punjabi herbs, spices and ingredients.
- Handcrafted for great taste and traditional touch.
Please fill in the fields below with the shipping destination details in order to calculate the shipping cost.
Moong Dal, Oil, Chilli Powder, Black pepper, Salt, Saji
Moong Punjabi papad is a variation of the traditional Indian snack, Moong papad, made with a unique blend of spices and flavours, specific to Punjabi cuisine. It is made from a dough of Moong dal (split green gram) and spices like cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, amchur powder, and salt. The dough is made by mixing together Moong dal, water, and spices until it forms a smooth, pliable dough. The dough is then rolled out into thin rounds, dried in the sun, or dehydrated. Once dried, the papads are deep-fried until they puff up and become crispy. They can also be roasted or microwaved. Moong Punjabi papad is a popular snack in North India, it is light, crisp, and easy to digest. It is typically served with tea or coffee, and can also be used as an accompaniment to a meal or as a garnish for various dishes. It is a good source of protein, gluten-free and low in fat.
- What is Spicy Moong Papad?
- History and Origins
- Ingredients Used in Spicy Moong Papad
- Making Process of Spicy Moong Papad
- Popular Variations of Spicy Moong Papad
- Health Benefits of Spicy Moong Papad
- Serving Suggestions and Culinary Uses
- Spicy Moong Papad in Different Cuisines
- Tips for Buying and Storing Spicy Moong Papad
- Spicy Moong Papad: A Perfect Snack Option
- How to Make Spicy Moong Papad at Home?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Get Access Now
Article: Spicy Moong Papad – A Delectable and Crunchy Snack
If you’re a fan of Indian cuisine and love to indulge in crispy and flavorful snacks, then you must try spicy moong papad. These thin and crispy discs made from moong lentils are a popular accompaniment to meals in many Indian households. In this article, we will delve into the world of spicy moong papad, exploring its history, ingredients, making process, health benefits, serving suggestions, and much more. So, let’s embark on this culinary journey and discover the delights of spicy moong papad!
What is Spicy Moong Papad?
Spicy moong papad, also known as moong dal papad, is a traditional Indian snack made from moong lentils. It is a disc-shaped wafer that is typically thin and crispy, with a delightful blend of spices. The lentils undergo a meticulous process of soaking, grinding, and drying before being seasoned with an assortment of spices and herbs. The result is a tantalizing snack that boasts a burst of flavors with each bite.
History and Origins
The origins of spicy moong papad can be traced back to the Indian subcontinent, where lentils have been a staple food for centuries. Lentil-based snacks have been a part of Indian cuisine for ages, with each region adding its unique touch to the recipes. Spicy moong papad, with its distinct taste and texture, has become a favorite not only in India but also among people who appreciate Indian flavors around the world.
Ingredients Used in Spicy Moong Papad
The preparation of spicy moong papad requires a handful of ingredients that come together to create the perfect balance of flavors. The primary ingredient is moong lentils, which are soaked and ground into a smooth paste. Along with the lentils, various spices like cumin, black pepper, red chili powder, and asafoetida are added to enhance the taste. Additionally, salt, baking soda, and oil are used in the making process.
Making Process of Spicy Moong Papad
The making of spicy moong papad involves several steps to achieve the desired texture and taste. First, the moong lentils are soaked for a few hours and then ground into a fine paste. This paste is mixed with spices and salt to form a dough-like consistency. The dough is then rolled into thin discs and left to dry under the sun or using modern drying techniques. Once dried, the papads are ready to be fried or roasted until they turn golden brown and crispy.
Popular Variations of Spicy Moong Papad
Spicy moong papad offers a versatile base for experimentation, leading to various delicious variations. One popular variation is the addition of chopped vegetables like onions, tomatoes, and coriander to the papad dough, providing a refreshing and crunchy twist. Some recipes also incorporate grated cheese or paneer, elevating the taste and making them perfect for cheesy cravings. These variations cater to different palates and add a unique touch to the traditional moong papad.
Health Benefits of Spicy Moong Papad
Despite being a snack, spicy moong papad offers certain health benefits. Moong lentils are a good source of protein, dietary fiber, and essential minerals. The lentils used in papads are rich in antioxidants and are known for their low glycemic index. Moreover, the spices and herbs used in the seasoning, such as cumin and black pepper, are known for their digestive properties. However, it’s important to consume moong papad in moderation as it is deep-fried and can be high in calories.
Serving Suggestions and Culinary Uses
Spicy moong papad is a versatile snack that can be enjoyed in various ways. It is commonly served as an accompaniment to Indian meals, acting as a crunchy side dish. The papads can be roasted or deep-fried and served alongside curries, rice dishes, or even with tea. They can also be crushed and sprinkled over chaats or used as a topping for salads to add a crispy element. The options are endless, and the papads can be tailored to suit individual preferences.
Spicy Moong Papad in Different Cuisines
While spicy moong papad has its roots in Indian cuisine, its popularity has transcended borders, making its way into different culinary traditions. In fusion cuisines, it is often used as a creative element, offering a unique texture and flavor profile. Chefs around the world have experimented with incorporating moong papads in dishes like wraps, sandwiches, and even as a crunchy topping for soups. This demonstrates the versatility of moong papad and its ability to add an interesting twist to various cuisines.
Tips for Buying and Storing Spicy Moong Papad
When purchasing spicy moong papad, it is essential to ensure the quality and freshness of the product. Look for papads that have a thin and uniform texture without any cracks. Avoid papads that appear too oily or have a stale odor. Store the papads in an airtight container to maintain their crispiness and prevent moisture absorption. It’s recommended to consume them within a few months of purchase for the best taste and texture.
Spicy Moong Papad: A Perfect Snack Option
Spicy moong papad serves as an excellent snack option for various occasions. Its crispy texture, combined with the burst of flavors, makes it a crowd-pleaser. Whether it’s a casual get-together, a festive celebration, or a movie night, serving spicy moong papad is sure to impress your guests. The snack’s addictive taste and versatility make it a favorite among both adults and children, earning it a special place in the hearts of snack enthusiasts.
How to Make Spicy Moong Papad at Home?
Making spicy moong papad at home allows you to customize the flavors and ensures a fresh and hygienic preparation. Here’s a simple recipe to guide you:
- 1 cup moong lentils
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Oil for frying
- Soak the moong lentils in water for 3-4 hours and drain well.
- Grind the soaked lentils into a smooth paste using a blender or food processor.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the lentil paste, cumin seeds, black pepper powder, red chili powder, asafoetida, salt, and baking soda. Mix well to form a dough-like consistency.
- Divide the dough into small portions and roll each portion into thin discs using a rolling pin.
- Place the papads on a clean, dry surface and let them dry under the sun for a day or use a dehydrator for a quicker drying process.
- Once the papads are completely dry, heat oil in a deep pan or kadai for frying.
- Fry the papads in hot oil until they turn golden brown and crispy. Remove them using a slotted spoon and drain excess oil on a kitchen towel.
- Allow the papads to cool completely before storing them in an airtight container.
Now you can enjoy homemade spicy moong papad at any time!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can I bake spicy moong papad instead of frying them? Yes, you can bake moong papad in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) until they become crispy. However, the texture and taste might differ slightly from the fried version.
2. Are moong papads gluten-free? Yes, moong papads are typically gluten-free as they are made from moong lentils. However, it’s essential to check the packaging or inquire about any potential cross-contamination if you have gluten sensitivities or allergies.
3. Can I store leftover moong papads for later use? Yes, you can store leftover moong papads in an airtight container for a few weeks. Ensure they are completely cooled before storing to prevent moisture absorption, which can make them lose their crispiness.
4. Can I use sprouted moong lentils for making papads? Yes, you can use sprouted moong lentils for making papads. Sprouted lentils add a unique flavor and increase the nutritional value of the papads.
5. How can I serve moong papad as a standalone snack? You can serve moong papad as a standalone snack by pairing them with chutneys, sauces, or dips. Mint chutney, tamarind chutney, or yogurt-based dips complement the flavors of moong papad wonderfully.
Spicy moong papad is a delightful snack that offers a combination of crunch, spice, and savory flavors. Its versatile nature allows it to be enjoyed in various ways, from accompanying meals to being incorporated into fusion dishes. By understanding the history, ingredients, and making process of moong papad, you can appreciate the craft and artistry behind this traditional Indian snack. So, go ahead, indulge in some spicy moong papad, and experience the explosion of taste that this crispy delight has to offer!
|Dimensions||18 × 14 × 7 cm|
|Moong Punjabi Masala|| |