Poha Chivda | Rice Flakes Chiwda | Dry Poha Ka Chiwda
₹125.00 – ₹449.00
- Poha Chiwda made from high-quality Flattened rice.
- Light chiwda for quick snacking.
- Made from the finest Quality ingredients from Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Handcrafted for great taste and traditional touch.
- Free from harmful Palmolein Oil or Palm Oil.
Please fill in the fields below with the shipping destination details in order to calculate the shipping cost.
Rice Flakes, Oil, Peanuts, Chana Dal, Mustard, Curry leaves, Mint leaves, Salt, Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, Asafoetida, Sugar, Lime extract
Poha Chiwda is a type of Indian snack made from flattened rice (poha) and a mixture of deep-fried or roasted nuts and spices. The flattened rice is usually first sautéed with mustard seeds, curry leaves, and other spices before being mixed with the nuts and other ingredients. The nuts used in Poha chiwda can include peanuts, Chana Dal, Mustard, Curry leaves & Mint leaves. The snack is often flavored with spices such as cumin, turmeric, and chili powder, and is enjoyed as a crunchy and flavorful snack. Poha Chiwda is commonly eaten as a tea-time snack. It can also be used in savory dishes as a garnish or added crunch. It is a popular snack in western Indian states like Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- What is Crispy Poha Chivda?
- The History of Poha Chivda
- Ingredients for Crispy Poha Chivda
- Step-by-Step Preparation
- Soaking the Poha
- Preparing the Spice Mix
- Roasting the Poha
- Adding the Nuts and Spices
- Mixing and Seasoning
- Serving Suggestions
- Variations of Poha Chivda
- Patla Poha Chivda
- Poha Namkeen without Oil
- Roasted Poha Chivda
- Dry Poha Chivda
- Pauva Chivda
- Health Benefits of Poha Chivda
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can I store Poha Chivda?
- Can I make Poha Chivda without nuts?
- Can I customize the spice level of Poha Chivda?
- Is Poha Chivda gluten-free?
- Can I use thick poha instead of thin poha for chivda?
Crispy Poha Chivda: A Delightful Indian Snack
If you’re a fan of crispy, savory snacks, then Crispy Poha Chivda is a must-try delicacy from the Indian subcontinent. Poha Chivda, also known as Pohe Chiwda or Chivada Poha, is a popular snack made from flattened rice flakes, also known as poha. This delectable snack is a perfect blend of flavors, spices, and crunchy elements that make it a favorite among all age groups. In this article, we will explore the origins, ingredients, preparation method, serving suggestions, health benefits, and various variations of Crispy Poha Chivda.
1. What is Crispy Poha Chivda?
Crispy Poha Chivda is a traditional Indian snack made by roasting flattened rice flakes until they turn crispy and then seasoning them with a mix of spices, nuts, and dried fruits. The result is a delightful blend of textures and flavors that make it an addictive snack. Poha Chivda is known for its crispy and crunchy texture, along with a perfect balance of sweetness, tanginess, and spiciness.
2. The History of Poha Chivda
Poha Chivda has its roots in Maharashtra, a state in western India. It is believed to have originated in the Malvani region, known for its rich culinary heritage. Over the years, Poha Chivda has gained popularity and is now enjoyed throughout India and beyond as a snack for festivals, special occasions, or even as an evening tea-time snack.
3. Ingredients for Crispy Poha Chivda
To make Crispy Poha Chivda, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups thin poha (flattened rice flakes)
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1/4 cup roasted chana dal (split Bengal gram)
- 2 tablespoons cashews (optional)
- 2 tablespoons raisins (optional)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 2-3 dried red chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish (optional)
4. Step-by-Step Preparation
Soaking the Poha:
- Take the thin poha in a large colander or strainer.
- Rinse the poha under running water for a few seconds.
- Let it sit in the colander for about 15 minutes to remove excess moisture.
- Fluff the poha gently with your fingers to separate the flakes.
Preparing the Spice Mix:
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add cumin seeds, dried red chilies, and curry leaves.
- Stir for a few seconds until the spices release their aroma.
- Add turmeric powder and asafoetida. Mix well.
Roasting the Poha:
- Reduce the heat to low and add the soaked poha to the pan.
- Mix gently to coat the poha with the spice mix.
- Cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the poha turns crispy and golden.
Adding the Nuts and Spices:
- Add peanuts, roasted chana dal, cashews, and raisins to the pan.
- Stir well to combine the ingredients.
- Continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes until the nuts and raisins turn slightly golden.
Mixing and Seasoning:
- Turn off the heat and let the chivda cool down.
- Add salt and sugar according to your taste preferences.
- Mix well to ensure even distribution of the spices and seasonings.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves if desired.
5. Serving Suggestions
Crispy Poha Chivda is a versatile snack that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with other items. Here are a few serving suggestions:
- Serve as a standalone snack with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
- Sprinkle some chivda over yogurt or chaat to add a crunchy element.
- Use it as a topping for salads or soups to enhance the texture and flavor.
- Pack it in lunchboxes or carry it on picnics for a delicious and convenient snack.
6. Variations of Poha Chivda
Poha Chivda offers endless possibilities for customization. Here are a few popular variations:
Patla Poha Chivda:
Patla Poha Chivda is a lighter version of the traditional chivda, where the poha flakes are roasted until they become thin and crispy.
Poha Namkeen without Oil:
For those who prefer a healthier alternative, Poha Namkeen without oil is an excellent option. Instead of roasting the poha in oil, it is dry roasted until crispy.
Roasted Poha Chivda:
Roasted Poha Chivda is made by roasting the poha flakes in the oven until they turn crispy. This variation is low in oil and retains the nutritional value of the ingredients.
Dry Poha Chivda:
Dry Poha Chivda is a variation where the poha flakes are not soaked in water before roasting. This results in a crunchier texture and a slightly different flavor profile.
Pauva Chivda is a Maharashtrian variation of Poha Chivda that includes roasted rice flakes known as pauva. It adds a unique texture and flavor to the snack.
8. Health Benefits of Poha Chivda
Crispy Poha Chivda offers a range of health benefits:
- Poha is a good source of iron, essential for maintaining healthy blood cells and preventing anemia.
- It is low in calories and fat, making it a healthier alternative to deep-fried snacks.
- Poha is gluten-free, making it suitable for individuals with gluten intolerance or celiac disease.
- The addition of nuts and dried fruits provides healthy fats, protein, and essential nutrients.
- The spices used in the chivda, such as turmeric and cumin, have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
9. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can I store Poha Chivda?
Yes, you can store Crispy Poha Chivda in an airtight container for up to 2-3 weeks. Make sure it is completely cool before storing to retain its crispiness.
2. Can I make Poha Chivda without nuts?
Absolutely! You can customize the recipe according to your preferences. If you prefer a nut-free version, simply omit the nuts and increase the quantity of roasted chana dal or add your favorite seeds instead.
3. Can I customize the spice level of Poha Chivda?
Yes, you can adjust the spice level to suit your taste. Increase or decrease the quantity of red chilies and chili powder according to your preference for spiciness.
4. Is Poha Chivda gluten-free?
Yes, Poha Chivda is gluten-free as long as you use gluten-free poha flakes and ensure that none of the added ingredients contain gluten.
5. Can I use thick poha instead of thin poha for chivda?
Thin poha is commonly used for making chivda as it crisps up well during the roasting process. However, if you prefer a chewier texture, you can use thick poha, but keep in mind that the cooking time may vary.
Crispy Poha Chivda is a delightful Indian snack that offers a perfect balance of flavors and textures. With its crispy poha flakes, aromatic spices, and crunchy nuts, it is a treat for the taste buds. Whether enjoyed as a standalone snack or paired with other dishes, Poha Chivda is sure to impress. Try out different variations and customize the recipe according to your preferences. So, indulge in the savory goodness of Poha Chivda and satisfy your cravings for a crispy and flavorful snack.
1. Can I store Crispy Poha Chivda? Yes, you can store Crispy Poha Chivda in an airtight container for up to 2-3 weeks. Make sure it is completely cool before storing to retain its crispiness.
2. Can I make Poha Chivda without nuts? Absolutely! You can customize the recipe according to your preferences. If you prefer a nut-free version, simply omit the nuts and increase the quantity of roasted chana dal or add your favorite seeds instead.
3. Can I customize the spice level of Poha Chivda? Yes, you can adjust the spice level to suit your taste. Increase or decrease the quantity of red chilies and chili powder according to your preference for spiciness.
4. Is Poha Chivda gluten-free? Yes, Poha Chivda is gluten-free as long as you use gluten-free poha flakes and ensure that none of the added ingredients contain gluten.
5. Can I use thick poha instead of thin poha for chivda? Thin poha is commonly used for making chivda as it crisps up well during the roasting process. However, if you prefer a chewier texture, you can use thick poha, but keep in mind that the cooking time may vary.
|Dimensions||18 × 14 × 7 cm|
|Net Quantity|| |
250g, 500g, 1 Kg